Monday, April 12, 2010

What's Been Working For Me

After such a successful start, I thought I'd share what exactly I'm doing and what my plan is.

After becoming acquainted with SparkPeople.com, I put in my weight loss goal (23 pounds by June 30) and it told me I need to eat 1200-1500 calories a day and burn 850 calories a day to reach my goal. Good to know! So I've been tracking everything I eat. I know I'm going to see the exact nutritional facts about everything I eat, and that's helpful in keeping me away from the really bad foods. I put in what I had for breakfast, and it calculates calories, fat, carbs, etc., so I know how much I can still eat. And I really try to stay right in the brackets it set for me. There has only been one day so far that I went over. I've been eating a lot of fruits and veggies and a lot less carbs. (hard!!) I basically bought out the produce section at the store. It's been great. I even had half a can of corn for a snack. Yum. I've been eating mostly toast and yogurt/fruit for breakfast, then something light for lunch and some kind of lean meat for dinner. And when I'm starving and need something to really fill me up, I either eat a half serving of Wheat Thins (reduced fat, of course) or have a cheese stick. So far so good!

I haven't been doing a whole lot more exercise yet, though. Tomorrow I hope to start my new walking routine. I know I can't walk very far yet, but I have another goal here. By the end of the summer (beginning of September-ish?) I want to be able to walk to the Public Library, and back home. That will be a round trip of 5 miles. I'm fairly confident that I'll be able to walk there without too much difficulty by the end of my first goal date, but I think it will be a real challenge to get back home too. Right now I'll start with about 30 minutes of walking a day and see where we are in a week.

I'm feeling really good and more confident than ever. Isn't it weird how just admitting to myself that my weight has become a problem, and knowing that I'm on the path to fixing it has made me feel confident and pretty again? This is going to be great!

3 comments:

  1. First time I ever tried the 5 mile walk was from my house to Steak N' Shake (where I ate) and back. I thought I was going to pass out. ;)
    But it gets easier!!! There is something thrilling about knowing that you won't get home unless your feet carry you. I highly reccommend loading up your mp3 player with some upbeat songs that will get you moving, and enjoy it! (Cause you will be doing it before you know it!)
    It's amazing how quickly the calories add up isn't it? At first it doesn't look like you are eating much, but when you add it all up...
    just make sure you are taking a daily vitamin before you go to bed. Keeps muscle cramps at bay. Keep working- and fantastic job!!!
    Big Hugs!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Bethany, People are right, you are inspirational. From June to December last year after I had Nathan, I began the journey of losing weight, I had lost a litle over 40lbs. Which I thought was good because it was during Christmas and Thanksgiving and Halloween. So then January came, everything in our life really in some aspect kind of went to shambles, event after event just trying our family so I gave up and decided to start again when things calmed down. It is now April, I have gained back 15+ pounds. So today now that things have calmed down a little bit I have wanted to start, so I try and then I give up because someone else offers me something or we are running to one place after another and I wasn't able to prepare a nutritious meal so I just eat whatever to keep me going. On and On and On, you know the routine. So here is my point. I read your blog and thought, I NEED TO STOP and Get back On track!! So I started On Sunday! I have been meaning to get on this blog and read more and write to you but today was the first day I had some time to sit down and write to you.

    Oh and Great job with the 5lbs.

    ReplyDelete