Tuesday, February 8, 2011

ADDICTIONS


Wow, you never realize how addicted you are to something until you try to go without it!

I, for instance, have become addicted to soda! For Jeff, watching a movie isn't worth it unless you have treats. And treats = soda, popcorn, and candy. So there's usually soda in our house. One of the first goals I made for myself was to limit my soda and candy intake. That alone should probably make a big difference. But it's HARD!

Maybe part of it is that we only had soda on special occasions growing up, and if you didn't grab it when it was there, you didn't get any. I don't know, maybe that's silly. But I like soda and right now I want it ALL DAY LONG! :) But there aren't any of my kinds in the house (sprite and root beer. I LOVE root beer) so if I can just leave Jeff's alone, I'll be ok. But it is there, staring me in the face, tempting me.

Needless to say, I've been drinking a lot of water. I guess I'm trying to trick my psyche that it actually tastes as good. :) At least I'm getting lots of water.

9 comments:

  1. What an awesome blog! Soda is so crazy how it makes you gain weight. It's the worst. We try to drink more gatorade and water over here;) Rooting for you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I used to be addicted to soda too! Keep drinking lots of water. Over time, you will crave it less and less until you'd rather drink water anyway. Soda gives me the hiccups now and even makes me sick sometimes... sure makes it easy to avoid it!

    Good luck! Addictions are hard to break. Bravo for facing them and doing so publicly! I really admire that.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Agreed. I quit Diet Coke cold turkey when I was 16 and stayed off till I was 19 or 20. Now I am addicted again. When I decided to quit again, I have been taking it very very slowly. First I went off caffeinated Diet Coke. I have been off that for at least 6 months. Now I am slowly decreasing my daily intake. I have a 2 liter in the fridge but I can make it last all week now (in November I would drink a two liter a day.) I will go completely off it eventually but I don't want to kill myself by making too many big changes at once, you know? If I have 8 oz of Diet Coke at dinner, it helps me not feel deprived.

    But I am also a FISH when it comes to water and I drink constantly. I love love love water. part of that is because Utah water is delicious and the other part is because I love my water bottle and how my fridge spits out delicious cold filtered water for me. I wrote a post about my waterbottle a little while ago on my weight loss blog - memoirsofacheeseburger.wordpress.com

    ReplyDelete
  4. A 2-liter lasts a weeks for you?! That's amazing! I, too, could easily down one in a day. :)

    ReplyDelete
  5. In my mind, soda is still only for special occasions. It never occurs to me to buy it. But I got lucky because Matt doesn't like soda that much. His drink addiction is Capri Sun, ha. So I have never had to deal with that temptation.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I never buy it either. Jeff gets it for me! He used to like to surprise me with it, but I asked him not to now. :)

    ReplyDelete
  7. If you're struggling to give up the soda, you could replace it with juice. Juice tastes yummy, but it's better for you than soda. Water's still the best of course, but for those times when you need to drink something delicious, go for juice! We ALWAYS have juice in the fridge--Mike's addicted. :)

    ReplyDelete
  8. Juice is a much better alternative to soda. Good idea!

    ReplyDelete
  9. I struggled with soda, too, but I've come to prefer the 0 calorie Vitamin Waters and sugar free juices...if I have to have soda now, I'll go for Fresca or one of the others that's 0 calories. Good luck!

    ReplyDelete